Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Revolutionary.

There are things that none of us want to do. But we have to.

There are things that we are asked to do and don't want to. But we have to.

There has been a huge movement towards the lifestyle of "being your own boss." I love small business. I love to support small businesses. They are the symbol of freedom and chasing down dreams. But the reality is, whether you work for yourself or for someone else, there will be things  you have to do even if you don't want to do them.
It may be at the request of a client, a co-worker, a family member, your boss, a neighbor... plenty of people make requests of you, be it your time or otherwise. I can say there have been times when I have been asked to do something and just want to roll my eyes and respond with a firm "no." But I don't. I may mentally respond in that way, but in reality I give a "sure, no problem," kind of response.

We will all be asked to do things we don't want to do. We will all be asked to do things we don't think are necessary or important. But as I am learning, we must do them anyways. Not begrudgingly, but joyfully. Why? Because we're not doing it for them.

Work with enthusiasm, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people.
Ephesians 6:7

Work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people. Remember that the Lord will give you an inheritance as your reward, and that the Master you are serving is Christ.
Colossians 3:23-24

With those two scriptures in mind, work ethic and work attitude is revolutionized. All of those ridiculous tasks are no longer so ridiculous. That annoyance that creeps in when asked to do something outside of your job description is silenced. Why? Because we aren't working for our boss or even our clients, we are working for our Lord. 

I have been mediating on these verses. Anytime I get frustrated I remind myself, "I am doing it for Jesus.... I am doing it for Jesus." I challenge you to do the same. It may not change anything at work, but it will change you. It transforms your heart and revolutionizes the way you work. It isn't about working anymore, it is only about serving. Serving God.


**Be sure to check back! More on "doing it for Jesus" on Thursday. 







1 comment:

  1. That's a hard lesson to learn and it is a process. It takes time to learn that you're doing only for Him. Everything we do should point others to Christ's love.

    ReplyDelete